I recently perused a popular magazine while waiting outside my doctors
office. The headline on the cover read, "10 ways to improve your life."
The article, featuring a panel of self-help "experts," offered advice
on marriage, parenting, relationships, health and more.
As followers of Jesus Christ, were naturally interested in improving
the way we live. But we approach the subject differently than the myriad
of humanists and self-help gurus. We recognize that personal fulfillment
comes from having life in Christ not from simply attending Anthony
Robbins seminars or watching episodes of Oprah.
Following todays self-help formulas has obvious limitations.
Following Jesus offers lasting peace and satisfaction. Thats why,
as believers, we ask a different question: How can we live more like
Jesus? What steps can we take to draw closer to Him? We know that intimacy
with Christ can improve every area of our lives.
Here are 10 steps you can take to draw closer to Jesus this year:
1. Set aside one weekend to fast and pray. Families can do this together.
2. Read one chapter from the gospels every day.
3. On your way to work each morning, ask the Lord to give you an opportunity
to tell someone about Jesus.
4. Select a ministry in your local church in which to participate
and be faithful.
5. Gather your family at least once each week for Scripture reading
6. Walk at least one mile every day, praying for your neighborhood
house by house.
7. Carefully monitor your familys entertainment choices.
8. Give more financially to the Lords work than last year.
9. Look for ways each week to edify another believer with a kind word
or deed. A phone call, note, meal, or helping hand will encourage others
in the faith.
10. Develop a "top 10" prayer list; and pray over that list every day.