Assemblies of God SearchSite GuideStoreContact Us


A/G Timeline


1919 – Central Assembly purchased a piece of land on the corner of Campbell and Calhoun streets. It was the first portion of the two blocks the boys had claimed.

1922 – General Council executives were searching for a place to locate a permanent Bible school. Merchants offered to give a 15-acre tract north of Springfield on the condition they invest $25,000 in improvements within five years. The leaders agreed. In the meantime, facilities were set up in Central Assembly’s basement to train young people who were answering God’s call. As Pentecostal revival swept through the Ozarks, many students came. In 1924, Central Bible College moved to its present campus.

1945 – The White City Amusement Park property became available. When the Assemblies of God purchased it, no one seemed to be aware that 30 years earlier five boys had claimed it for God.

1949 – The building for printing operations was built on the property. The Pacific Street building continued to serve as executive and departmental offices for another decade.

1957 – Central Assembly purchased more of the two blocks claimed by the boys to build a larger sanctuary. (The present sanctuary was built in 1991.)

1961 – The four-story Headquarters building was erected on the Boonville Avenue side of the former amusement park.

1972 – A six-story building was erected on the Campbell Street side of the Headquarters block. The Assemblies of God Theological Seminary was housed there until recently, so more missionaries and ministers were sent out – another part of the stream Rachel Sizelove saw in a vision.

1978 – The answer to the boys’ prayer was complete when the last piece of the second block was purchased for the Radiant Book and Music Center.

 

| Articles | Subscriptions | News & Notes | Talk-Back | Meet the Staff | Writers Guidelines |
| ABCs of Salvation | Who We Are | Life's Q&A | From Our Files | Pentecostal Evangel Books |

©1998-2000 Gospel Publishing House, General Council of the Assemblies of God