Assemblies of God SearchSite GuideStoreContact Us

Daily Boost

  • July 11, 2014 - Reflections

    By Jean S. Horner
    The other day while walking down a corridor in a public building, I saw what appeared to be someone walking toward me. On coming closer, I found it was my own reflection in a huge mirror. For a moment it frightened me. Somehow a full-length reflection of one’s self is a startling thing. ...

Vantage Point: Roy's Miracle

By Ken Horn
June 15, 2014

He was a teenager, not long out of high school, and he had landed a good job working for Standard Oil in California.

Roy held the back end of a riveting machine that pounded rivets into the side of oil tanks. His crew built the tanks from the bottom up, ring by ring, working their way to increasing heights.

One day, while more than 50 feet up, Roy became careless. He took hold of the scaffolding, swung himself around and dropped about a foot to the planking.

Crack! One of the scaffold planks gave way, and suddenly Roy was in free fall, hurtling head first toward the steel tank bottom.

No one could survive that fall. At least that’s what everyone thought who watched helplessly.

As Roy fell, workers saw him strike his head violently on a grip partway down. It knocked him unconscious and spun him around. He hit the ground horizontally, landing like a limp rag.

Roy’s father, Frank, was working nearby in a different portion of the tank farm. A worker rushed to find him and Frank frantically sped to his son’s side.

When Frank arrived, a crowd had gathered; Roy appeared to be dead. Frank gathered his son up, cradling him in his arms and a flood of tears escaped his eyes as he poured out endearing words hoping that, somehow, his son would hear.

Roy was alive, and had regained consciousness. But he was paralyzed by shock and unable to respond.

Some distance from a hospital, there was no time to wait for an ambulance. The piece of the plank that had broken off lay nearby and was quickly put to work as a stretcher. It just fit across the seats of the job superintendent’s large convertible touring car. They sped to the hospital in this makeshift ambulance.

Everyone would soon be stunned and realize they had seen a miracle. Roy had no broken bones, spent only three days in the hospital, and needed a brief period of recuperation at home before he was back on the job.

Roy was not a believer in Christ. This did not transform his life. He thought he was “lucky.” But luck had nothing to do with it. The Lord was longsuffering with Roy, watching over him until years later he gave his heart to Christ and became a fervent believer and spiritual leader.

Oh, one more interesting thing about the young man whose life was miraculously preserved that day. Roy Horn was my dad. That makes it my miracle too.

Ken Horn

Email your comments to