Assemblies of God SearchSite GuideStoreContact Us

Daily Boost

  • July 11, 2014 - Reflections

    By Jean S. Horner
    The other day while walking down a corridor in a public building, I saw what appeared to be someone walking toward me. On coming closer, I found it was my own reflection in a huge mirror. For a moment it frightened me. Somehow a full-length reflection of one’s self is a startling thing. ...

My Journey: Just Say ‘Jesus’

Nov. 21, 2010

Summer was coming to a close in our bustling town of bikers and tourism, but this night was far from an ordinary summer’s eve. As evening approached, my son Steve called with horrifying news that put all thought of sleep far from my mind.

“Mom, Jack just died; he drowned in the tub.” Steve’s voice trembled as he spoke. “I gave him CPR. Right now the ambulance is taking him to the hospital!”

“I’ll be there,” I quickly responded.

No questions, just simply, “I’ll be there.” Immediately I began praying in the Spirit for Jack, my beautiful 14-month-old grandson. My husband and I jumped into the vehicle, praying constantly. Fear tried desperately to overpower me.

I just couldn’t get to that hospital fast enough. I urgently wanted to touch and release my faith into our darling little grandson, to pray and plead the blood of Jesus over his life and this terrifying situation. We prayed, and every prayer warrior in my cell phone was called upon for prayer.

The 15-mile trip to the hospital seemed to take an hour. They were working on Jack when we arrived, so we were told we’d have to wait to see him. That was not the right answer. I loved this baby more than words could express, and I just had to be with him. As I began to pace the floor, a hospital staff member walked us back to Jack’s room. As we walked toward him, my heart pounded so hard it felt like it was going to jump out of my chest.

Jack sat naked on his mother’s lap, a dozen wires running from his chilled, little body, monitoring his every movement. His mother’s voice was shaky as tears streamed down her face. But she was thankful — so very thankful — to Jesus. Jack was alive! The results of his tests had not yet arrived, but he appeared only to be very tired.

As my son sat on the edge of the ER hospital bed, he told us the entire, horrifying story. Maria had given Jack a bath, but had no bath towel to dry him. So she went downstairs for a towel, but when she returned, her baby boy lay lifeless in the water on his back, already turning blue. Maria’s screams quickly brought my son onto the scene.

He grabbed his lifeless child and began CPR. Maria was too panic-stricken to help him; all she could do was scream, cry and beg God not to take him. Steve applied CPR, dialed 911 and prayed. He remembered his CPR instructor insisting on staying calm while administering CPR. That day, only God helped this father stay calm.

Maria’s screams put the whole neighborhood on edge. A pediatrician who lived next door came over and helped my son with CPR. Soon the ambulance came on the scene. They immediately gave Jack oxygen and rushed him and Maria to the local hospital.

In the emergency room, hospital staff told Maria that Jack did indeed die and was resuscitated, and that they may need to life-flight Jack to a hospital better equipped for children.

While in the emergency room, Maria continued to gently cry as Jack slept in her arms. Just before she calmed down I told her a little secret about controlling her fears.

“Just say the name ‘Jesus’ over and over and over,” I told her. “You can softly whisper it or simply say it in your mind, but the name of Jesus is like a supernatural sponge. His name will suck up all your fear.”

Test reports started coming in and, at this point, only showed slight cloudiness around one lung. The doctor wanted Jack to stay overnight for observation and wear a heart monitor. A nurse gave Jack a little fruit juice and a tiny, melon-colored hospital gown that was about 18 inches long.

The next afternoon, Jack was released. He had not suffered any brain damage.

At home Jack quickly returned to the happy, busy little boy that he had always been. How good is our God! How faithful that He hears and answers our prayers.

In retrospect, I can see God’s hand in so many areas. One, my son was home. His job requires odd hours, but he was home and recently had a refresher in CPR. Secondly, the pediatrician who lived next door came in to help.

And lastly, the hospital decided not to send Jack to a specialty hospital more than 60 miles away, making Jack unreachable. So I was able to reach out and pray for him right away, which was my heart’s desire. And now he is home — healthy, happy, eating and eating some more. We all say “Thank you, Jesus!”

Author’s name withheld.

Email your comments to