Assemblies of God SearchSite GuideStoreContact Us

Daily Boost

  • July 11, 2014 - Reflections

    By Jean S. Horner
    The other day while walking down a corridor in a public building, I saw what appeared to be someone walking toward me. On coming closer, I found it was my own reflection in a huge mirror. For a moment it frightened me. Somehow a full-length reflection of one’s self is a startling thing. ...

A Faithful Pioneer: Betty Glick Ohse

Jan. 12, 2014

On Nov. 3, 2013, Pastor Stephen Brown and representatives of the Alaska Ministry Network celebrated the 100th birthday of Betty Ohse at New Life Assembly of God in Kenai. Betty and Carl Glick founded the church in 1957. The following is adapted from the history of the church written for New Life’s 50-year celebration in 2007.

In 1956, Carl and Betty Glick resigned their pastorate of 18 years in Palmstown, Pa., to answer the call of God to pioneer a church in Kenai, Alaska, a place they had never seen or heard of prior to their call.

In June and July 1957, they drove the long route to Alaska in a moving van and a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. The Alaska-Canada Highway, the “Al-Can,” was a primitive, difficult road in those days. Axle-deep mud, choking dust, and washed-out roads and bridges were common encounters. After 28 days of driving and 5,820 miles, Carl and Betty arrived in Kenai, then a village of about 300 people, on July 24.

After trading away their brand-new travel trailer, their moving van, and some of their furniture, the Glicks purchased a building that would serve as the church and their residence.

By Sept. 29, the building was refurbished and opened for services as Kenai Assembly of God. The beginnings were humble. One person attended the first service. Before long, a handful of people gathered for church. At that time, Wildwood Air Force Base was operating just north of town. Some of the servicemen came to the new church in Kenai.

The log building that housed the church was built in 1848. It had been skidded to its present location and left on bare ground. Each spring the building would settle deeper into the ground. In 1959, after much planning and work, the building was raised 26 inches and rested on stilts until a foundation could be put under it. The building was later upgraded with an “arctic entry” and a furnace.

The village of Kenai had only one phone at that time that was in a “strange little hut” just outside the fence surrounding the church building. On holidays, a long line often formed outside the building with people waiting to make calls.

Carl piloted a plane to benefit residents as part of the Glicks’ ministry in Kenai. Since Kenai and the surrounding towns had no hospitals and few doctors, on several occasions Carl had to fly seriously ill people to Merrill Field in Anchorage where the ambulance from Providence Hospital would pick them up. Carl also flew out to bush villages in the Cook Inlet area for ministry.

On Oct. 18, 1962, after a flight to Anchorage to purchase a car, which Betty would drive home to Kenai with her son, Carl Jr., Carl Glick disappeared on his return flight from Anchorage to Kenai. He was never found.

Betty Glick (now Betty Ohse), an ordained AG minister in her own right, continued to pastor the church from that time until Sept. 9, 1964. Eventually feeling a call to hospital and shut-in ministry, Betty moved to Anchorage to minister there among those who needed encouragement and prayer.

She continued active in ministry for many years.

Still credentialed, Betty Ohse was honored in November with a formal expression of appreciation from the General Council of the Assemblies of God, signed by General Superintendent George O. Wood.

Email your comments to